While Windows 11 is a great operating system with features like tabbed file explorer, live subtitles, Android app support and many more features to come. That said, users are still confused about whether or not to upgrade to Windows 11. In this case, it is better to install Windows 11 on a virtual machine to test the operating system and check if your preferences match well. to Microsoft’s latest desktop operating system. So, in this article, we bring you an exhaustive guide on how to install Windows 11 in a virtual machine. We have provided two easy ways to create a Windows 11 virtual machine. On that note, let’s get to the tutorial.
Install Windows 11 on a virtual machine (2022)
We have included two ways to install Windows 11 in a virtual machine. First through the built-in Hyper-V manager and then through the third-party VMware tool. You can expand the table below and jump to the section of your choice.
Install Windows 11 on a Hyper-V virtual machine
1. First, you must download windows 11 iso image. You can go to the Microsoft website and download the official Windows 11 ISO image.
2. After that, you need to enable some key settings. First, enter BIOS and enable “Intel Virtualization Technologyor “AMD-V”, depending on your processor manufacturer.
3. Next, you need to enable Hyper-V on your Windows PC. Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously to open the Run prompt. Here, type
optionalfeatures.exe and press Enter. If you are using the Home edition of Windows, see our separate guide and enable Hyper-V in Windows 11/10 Home.
4. A Windows Features window will open. Scroll down and enable Hyper-V, Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform checkboxes. Finally, press the OK button. It will start installing the necessary packages and ask you to restart the computer when the installation is complete.
5. After restarting, press the Windows key once and search for “Hyper”. Open “Hyper-V Manager“.
6. Here, in the right pane, click on “Newthen select “Virtual machine”.
7. On the next page, click “Next” and give a name to your virtual machine. For example, I named it Windows 11.
8. After that choose “Generation 1because Hyper-V increasingly shows the error “Boot PXE over IPv4” when using “Generation 2”.
9. On the next page, get into ram amount. I provided 4 GB of RAM (4096 MB).
10. Here, select “Default switch” from the drop-down menu. This will provide internet connectivity to your Windows 11 virtual machine.
11. Following this, provide space you want for the Windows 11 virtual machine. I entered 64 GB.
12. Then choose “Install an operating system from a Bootable CD/DVD ROM” and “Image file (ISO)”. Here, click “Browse” and select the Windows 11 ISO image you downloaded above.
13. Finally, click on “To finish“.
14. Now right click on the Windows 11 virtual machine and choose “Relate“.
15. Finally, click on “To start up“. This will boot the Windows 11 operating system in a virtual machine.
16. Now You Can go through config and install Windows 11 on a virtual machine. That’s it.
Install Windows 11 on VMware virtual machine
If you don’t want to use Hyper-V to create a Windows 11 virtual machine, try VMware, which is great third-party virtual machine software. It allows you to run Windows 11 in VM without any problem. Here’s how.
1. You must have a copy of the Windows 11 ISO image. If you don’t have one, you can download official Windows 11 ISO image from the Microsoft website.
2. Then go ahead and download VMware workstation player, the use of which is free for personal users. After that, install VMware on your PC.
3. Now open VMware and click on “Create a new virtual machine“.
4. Here choose the second option i.e. “Installation disc image file (iso)“, and select the Windows 11 ISO image you downloaded above.
5. On the next page, choose “Windows 10 and later x64“.
6. Click “Next” and leave space for your Windows 11 virtual machine. I entered 60 GB disk space.
7. Finally, click on “To finish“.
8. Once you have created the virtual machine, click on “Play virtual machine“. If you get pop-ups, click “OK”. Remember that to exit the VM environment, press “Ctrl + Alt”, and your mouse cursor will be visible to the rest of the UI.
9. Within seconds, the Windows 11 virtual machine will be active. Now you can configure Windows 11 inside the VMware virtual machine.
Run Windows 11 in a Virtual Machine Seamlessly
So these are the two ways to run Windows 11 in a virtual machine. If you want to test Microsoft’s latest desktop operating system before upgrading to Windows 11, this is the best way to do it. Anyway, it all comes from us. If you want to install a lite version of Windows 10 called Tiny10, follow our linked article for detailed steps. And if you want to test Windows 11 Lite, we have a dedicated guide for that too. Finally, if you have any questions, let us know in the comments section below.