Windows 11 has several built-in utilities that help you service, maintain, test, and repair your PC if something goes wrong. For example, you can use System Restore in Windows 11 to bring your PC back in time to a working state. Windows 11 PCs also include a troubleshooter that automatically fixes sound issues on Windows 11, among many other issues. However, if you are also having issues with your microphone and want to test it in Windows 11, you can do so easily from Settings and Control Panel. Moreover, you can also boost microphone sound without downloading any third-party app. On that note, let’s go ahead and find out how to test your microphone in Windows 11.
Test your microphone in Windows 11 (2022)
In this guide, we have explained how to set up wired and wireless microphones in Windows 11, as well as the two methods to test the microphone in Windows 11. Apart from that, we have added instructions on how to increase the volume microphone in Windows. 11. That said, let’s go.
Set up a wired microphone in Windows 11
Before configuring the wired microphone, we must first know which port you need to connect the microphone to. So let’s go ahead and find out how to set up a wired microphone in Windows 11.
1. If you are using Windows laptop, usually 3.5mm audio jack works for both audio output and microphone input. So you need to connect the wired microphone to your laptop’s headphone jack. And if you’re using a custom Windows PC, the mic port will be the pink color a. You should also look for the “mic” icon around the ports.
2. Once you have connected the microphone to the correct port, open Settings by pressing “Windows + I” and proceed to System -> Sound.
3. Here, under the “Input” section, choose the wired microphone you want to use, and that’s all. You have successfully configured a wired microphone in Windows 11.
Set up a wireless microphone in Windows 11
To set up a wireless mic that works over Bluetooth, all you need to do is open Settings and pair the mic with your Windows 11 computer. Here’s how.
1. Make sure your Bluetooth microphone is in pairing mode. After that, open the Settings app from the Start menu or by using the keyboard shortcut “Windows + I“.
2. In Windows 11 Settings app, go to System -> Sound.
3. Scroll down and go to the “Input” section. Here, click “Add Devicenext to “Pair a new input device”. This will open the Bluetooth pairing window on your PC.
4. Here choose “Bluetooth” in the pop-up window.
5. If your wireless microphone is in pairing mode, it will show here. Once it appears on the screen, Click on it and follow the on-screen instructions to pair the microphone.
6. That’s it. In the “Input” section, make sure the the wireless microphone is selected as the default microphone.
Test Your Microphone in Windows 11 from Settings
1. To test your microphone in Windows 11, press the Windows 11 hotkey “Windows + I” and open the settings. You can also manually open Settings from the Start menu.
2. In the “System” menu, open “Sound” in the right pane.
3. Here, scroll down and click on “Microphonein the “Input” section.
4. After that, under “Input Settings”, click the “Start trialnext to “Test your microphone”.
5. Start speaking and you should see an indicator showing voice response. Once you are done, click “Stop trial“.
6. Windows 11 will display the microphone test result just below. If the test result is above 50%, your microphone is working properly. Otherwise, increase the “Input Volume” slider at most. That’s it.
Now test the microphone again on your Windows 11 PC, and it should be able to pick up your voice without any issues.
Test Your Microphone in Windows 11 from Control Panel
1. You can also test microphone in Windows 11 from Control Panel. Simply press “Windows + R” to open the Run prompt. Here, type
mmsys.cpl and press Enter. This will directly open the sound settings in the Control Panel.
2. Then go to “Registration” and choose your microphone. After that, click “Configure” in the lower left corner.
3. This will open the voice recognition window. Here, click “Configure Microphone“.
4. In the next window, select “Otherand click “Next”. If you connected a dedicated headset or microphone, choose the appropriate option. For built-in mics, “Other” is an appropriate option.
5. After that, click “Next” and then read the sentence displayed on the screen. If the indicator is in the “green” area, it means your microphone is working well. After reading the sentence, click “Next”.
6. If everything went well, this will indicate that your microphone is ready to use. Now you can close the window. In case the microphone becomes taking a low or high voiceProceed to the next method to boost microphone volume in Windows 11.
Increase microphone volume in Windows 11
1. Use the “Windows + R” shortcut to open the Run prompt. Here, type
mmsys.cpl and press Enter.
2. In the “Sound” window, switch to the “Recording” tab, choose your microphone and open “Properties“.
3. Here, switch to the “Levels” tab and increase the “Microphone Boost” level. You can also reduce it if the mic picks up too much sound.
Microphone not working in Windows 11? Correct here!
No matter what you try, if the the microphone does not work on your Windows 11 PC, don’t worry. We have explained several steps in a dedicated article on how to fix microphone issues on Windows 10 and 11. Just follow our guide and the mic will start working again without any issues. You may need to reinstall mic drivers or make changes to system settings.
Test and optimize microphone sound in Windows 11
We have explained two native ways to set up and test the microphone in Windows 11. According to my testing, Microsoft has done an amazing job integrating the Microphone Test Utility into the Settings app in Windows 11. Other than that, you can also open the Control Panel window to test and boost the microphone sound. That’s not all, however. One of the new features coming to Windows 11 lets you see what software or application is using the microphone in real time. It would be a useful addition to Windows 11. And if you want to get a universal mute switch in Windows 11/10, you can follow our linked guide. Finally, if you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.