Sometimes seemingly basic issues crop up on Windows 11 PCs, frustrating the user to no end. For example, sometimes the Bluetooth toggle disappears in Windows 11, or the microphones may not work at all, no matter what solution you try. And recently, we heard that brightness slider is missing from Windows 11 for many users. You cannot change the brightness in Windows 11 from the Quick Settings panel or Windows Settings. If you’re also having this issue, we’ve covered how to fix the “missing brightness slider” issue in this guide. So, let’s dive in and learn how to adjust screen brightness in Windows 11.
Change Brightness in Windows 11 (2022)
In this tutorial, we have added three methods to change the brightness level in Windows 11. Apart from that, we have included several fixes in case the brightness slider is missing on your Windows 11 PC. Expand the table below and navigate to the section of your choice.
Change Brightness in Windows 11 from Quick Settings
The easiest way to change brightness in Windows 11 is to use the Quick Settings panel. Microsoft has improved its Action Center and brought all the essential toggles and sliders under the Quick Settings panel. So here’s how to adjust the brightness in Windows 11 from the revamped Quick Settings menu.
1. Click the Quick Settings panel in the lower right corner of the taskbar. You can also use the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut”Window + A” to instantly open Quick Settings.
2. Now next to the sun icon, drag the slider to change the brightness level in Windows 11. Pretty simple, right? If the brightness slider is missing on your Windows 11 PC, skip to the last section to fix the problem.
Change Brightness in Windows 11 from Windows Settings
Apart from the Quick Settings panel, you can access the Settings app and adjust the brightness from there. Here is the path you need to go to change screen brightness in Windows 11.
1. Press “Windows + I” to open the Settings app instantly.
2. Next, under the “System” menu, open “Display” in the right pane.
3. Here you will see the brightness slider at the top. Drag the Brightness slider to adjust the screen brightness on your Windows 11 PC, as needed.
4. If you wish turn off auto brightness in Windows 11, expand the “Brightness” menu and uncheck “Helps improve battery life by optimizing displayed content and brightness”. That’s it.
Adjust screen brightness in Windows 11 with dedicated keys
If you are using Windows 11 on a laptop, chances are your laptop came with a dedicated key to change the screen brightness level. The brightness adjustment keys are usually located along with the function keys on the top row of the keyboard or the navigation keys. Here’s how you can change the brightness in Windows 11 with a keyboard shortcut.
1. On your keyboard, seek the sun icon in the top row of function keys. It should be next to F2, F3, F4, F5, F11 or F12. On other laptops, the screen brightness key may be located next to other function keys or near the arrow keys, so check carefully. One key will have an illuminated sun icon, which increases the brightness of the screen, and another will have a lower sun beam, allowing you to decrease the brightness.
2. You will find another key called “Fn” (Function) in the bottom left row next to “Ctrl”. You have to press and hold the Fn key then press the up or down brightness key to change the brightness level on your Windows 11 PC. In this way, you can quickly adjust the screen brightness in Windows 11 with a dedicated hotkey.
To note: On some laptops, you don’t need to press the “Fn” key. A simple press of the dedicated button changes the level of brightness.
Brightness slider missing / Brightness not working in Windows 11? Correct here!
If the Brightness slider is missing in Quick Settings or in the Windows Settings app, it only means one thing: your display drivers aren’t installed correctly. In such a scenario, you cannot change the brightness and the screen brightness is stuck at the maximum level. So, to fix the brightness not working issue in Windows 11, follow our instructions below.
1. Press “Windows+X” to open the Quick Links menu. Here, click on “Device Manager”.
2. Next, expand the “Screenshot taken” and right-click on the graphics card installed in your PC, then choose “Uninstall device“. Go ahead and uninstall the graphics adapter. If you have multiple graphics cards, uninstall the others as well. Don’t worry, the display drivers will be restored after a while.
3. Just Now restart your computer. Once your computer boots up, Windows 11 will try to find and install the latest drivers for your display. Make sure you are connected to the internet and wait a few minutes.
4. If the brightness slider is still missing in Windows 11, open Device Manager again and right-click on the graphics card. Here choose “Update driver” in the context menu.
5. In the next window, choose “Automatically search for drivers“. Windows 11 will search the internet for the best display driver and install it. Repeat this process for the other graphics cards as well, if you have more than one.
6. If Device Manager says your drivers are already up to date, click “Check for updated drivers on Windows Update“.
7. Here, click on “Check for updates“. After that, install all updates and restart your PC. This will surely bring back the brightness slider on your Windows 11 PC.
To note: Microsoft now even bundles driver updates with Windows updates. So you need to keep your PC updated to have the latest display drivers.
8. If nothing has worked so far, go to our article on how to update drivers on Windows 11 and update the display driver via a third party program or via the manufacturer’s website. We have included driver suites for HP, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, etc.
Adjust screen brightness in Windows 11
So, these were the three ways to change screen brightness in Windows 11. Along with these, we have also mentioned a complete solution in case the brightness is not working on your Windows 11 PC. Anyway, it all comes from us. If you want to check your graphics card on Windows 11, go through our linked article. And to fix sound issues in Windows 11, we have a handy guide for you. Finally, if you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.