When it comes to automation, most iPhone users swear by Siri Shortcuts. They are extremely useful and can quickly perform complicated tasks with just a few clicks. You can even use them to lock apps on iPhone or eject water from your iPhone. Plus, with Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV integration, you can now use Siri Shortcuts to switch users on your Apple TV, or even automatically switch Apple Watch faces. However, many iPhone users encounter issues with their shortcuts not working or unable to use “Hey Siri” with shortcuts. If you are also facing such problem, here are 8 solutions to fix Siri Shortcuts not working.
How to Fix Siri Shortcuts Not Working (2022)
1. Force quit the Shortcuts app and start over
If Siri Shortcuts isn’t working for you, the first thing you should try is to simply force quit the app and restart it. Often, that’s all it takes to fix random issues.
On iPhone without home button (iPhone X, iPhone XS/XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, iPhone 13)
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and hold your finger in the middle of the screen. This will open the recent apps screen on your iPhone.
- Find the Shortcuts app and swipe up on the card to dismiss it and force quit the app.
On iPhones with a home button (iPhone SE, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, etc.)
- Double tap the home button to open the recent apps screen on your iPhone.
- Swipe up on the “Shortcuts” app card to close the app and force close it.
2. If shortcuts don’t work with Hey Siri
If you are unable to use “Hey Siri” to invoke your Siri Shortcuts, you can try disabling “Listen to Hey Siri” and enabling it again to fix the problem. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings -> Siri and Search
- Now disable the toggles for Listen to Hey Siri, press Home/Side button for Siri and allow Siri when locked.
- Then restart your device. Once it restarts, go to Siri and search settings and set up Siri again.
3. Force restart your iPhone
The next thing we are going to try to fix Siri Shortcuts not working is a force restart of your iPhone. It’s quite simple and you don’t have to worry about losing data. Just follow the steps below:
Force restart iPhone 8 or later (including iPhone X, iPhone XS/XR, iPhone 11/12 and iPhone 13)
- Press and quickly release the volume up button.
- Next, quickly press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears. Once the logo appears, release the Power button.
Force Restart iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Hold down the volume down button and the power button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
Force Restart iPhone 6s or Earlier
- Press and hold the power button (side or top) and the home button at the same time. Once the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
4. Delete Siri Shortcuts and Start Over
If you’re having trouble with just a few Siri Shortcuts and the others are working fine, there’s likely a problem with those specific Shortcuts. To fix this problem or rule it out as the problem, just follow the steps below.
- Open the Shortcuts app on your device, then tap To select in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Now, select all shortcuts you want to get rid of then hit To delete in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Then press the Gallery tab then add the shortcuts. If you downloaded the shortcuts from a website, you will need to download them again. Also, if they are unreliable shortcuts, pay special attention to what they are doing behind the scenes.
5. Delete the Shortcuts app and reinstall it
If the previous steps didn’t fix the problem for you, the next thing to try is a full reinstall of the Shortcuts app. Simply delete the app from your iPhone, then install the Shortcuts app (free) again from the App Store.
6. Update your iPhone or iPad
Next, let’s make sure you’re using up-to-date software. Sometimes you may encounter bugs and issues that have been fixed in a new software update, so it’s always a good idea to keep your iPhone up to date.
- Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update
- Your iPhone will check for new updates. If a new iOS update is available, install it, then check if Siri Shortcuts are working again.
7. Reset all settings
Sometimes issues like Siri Shortcuts not working can be caused by a combination of different settings on your iPhone that may not work very well with each other. Fortunately, there is an easy way to restore your iPhone settings without losing any of your data. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap ‘Reset’ and then ‘Reset All Settings’.
8. Hard reset your iPhone
Rather, it’s a last resort if nothing else has solved the problem for you. Completely resetting your iPhone essentially returns it to its factory state. Note that this means you’ll lose all your data, so it’s a good idea to back things up before you start.
- Go to Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone
- Tap “Erase All Content and Settings”, then “Continue”.
This will erase all your data from your iPhone, reset all settings to their defaults, and restart your iPhone. You can then configure it again or restore your backup.
Fix Siri Shortcuts issues on iPhone and iPad
Well, these are the 8 ways to fix Siri shortcuts not working on iPhone and iPad. Hope you were able to get Shortcuts working again without having to reset your iPhone and lose data. Let us know which method fixed the problem for you, and if there are other ways to fix Siri Shortcuts not working issue, let us know in the comments as well.