FaceTime is gradually becoming quite a feature-rich video calling app. You can now use FaceTime on Android, and even easily share your screen on FaceTime. And with iOS 16 and macOS Ventura, you can now also easily transfer your FaceTime calls between devices. So whether you took a FaceTime call on your iPhone or Mac, you can easily and seamlessly move it to another Apple device. Here’s how to switch FaceTime calls between iPhone and Mac.
Use Handoff to exchange FaceTime calls between iPhone and Mac
Switch FaceTime calls between iPhone and Mac
Move FaceTime Call from iPhone to Mac
If you answered a FaceTime call on your iPhone and want to continue the same call on your Mac, here’s how.
- Unlock your Mac and bring your iPhone closer to it. You will see a FaceTime icon in the menu bar.
- Click on this icon and you will see an option to switch your FaceTime call to the Mac. Click on ‘Change’
- The FaceTime app will open and you can click the “Join” button to move the call to your Mac.
Move FaceTime Call from Mac to iPhone
On the other hand, if you answered a call on your Mac and want to switch it to your iPhone, here’s how to do it.
- Unlock your iPhone and you should see a FaceTime icon on the top bar of your phone. Press it.
To note: In the current iOS 16 public beta, the icon appears to be broken. Tapping on it does nothing. However, there is a workaround. You can open the notification center and tap on the notification as shown in the screenshot below.
- Once the FaceTime app is open, just tap “Switch”, and the FaceTime call will switch from your Mac to your iPhone.
Fix FaceTime transfer not working between iPhone and Mac
In our tests, the ability to forward FaceTime calls worked as soon as the devices were updated to iOS 16 and macOS Ventura. However, if the option is not showing up for you, there are a few things you need to check.
Make sure your iPhone and Mac are signed in to the same Apple ID
First of all, Handoff needs all of your devices to have the same logged in Apple ID. So make sure your iPhone and Mac are signed in with the same Apple ID.
Check Apple ID in iPhone
On your iPhone, go to “Settings” and tap on the Apple ID banner. Here you will be able to see the Apple ID you are signed in with.
If necessary, you can easily change your Apple ID without losing data on your iPhone.
Verify Apple ID on Mac
On your Mac, you can verify your Apple ID by opening Settings and clicking the Apple ID banner at the top, as shown in the screenshot below.
You will then be able to see the Apple ID you are signed in with on your Mac. If needed, you can sign out of that Apple ID and sign in with the one you have on your iPhone.
Enable Transfer on iPhone and iPad
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and choose General.
2. Now press AirPlay and transfer then make sure the toggle next to Delivery is on.
Enable Handoff on Mac
1. Click the apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen and choose System Parameters.
2. Now click on General and select AirDrop and transfer.
3. Make sure the option for Allow transfer between this Mac and your iCloud devices.
Enable Wi-Fi on your iPhone
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and tap Wireless. Now make sure your device is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
Activate Bluetooth on your iPhone
- Head to the Settings app on your device ->Bluetooth then make sure it is turned on. Alternatively, you can display the Control center and press the Bluetooth icon to turn it on.
Enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on Mac
- Using Control Center, turning on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is pretty easy on the Mac, too. Click on the Control center icon in the upper right corner of the screen. After that, navigate to the respective Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings and enable them.
Easily switch FaceTime calls between iPhone, iPad and Mac
Well, this is how you can easily switch FaceTime calls between your iPhone and Mac. Personally, I find this new continuity feature very useful, especially since I often find myself answering calls on one device and wanting to continue them on another. FaceTime Transfer makes the whole process simple and easy. However, I am interested to know what you think about it. Let us know your thoughts in the comments.