There may be times when you want to share your current location with your loved ones on WhatsApp. From helping your friend find the address of your new home to sharing your live location with family members, WhatsApp has you covered. In this article, we have explained how to send your location on WhatsApp. We have shown how to share your current location or live location on WhatsApp on your iPhone and Android devices.
How to Send Location on WhatsApp: Explained (2022)
How to share your location on WhatsApp (Android)
1. Open the recipient’s WhatsApp chat and tap the attachment icon in the chat bar. In the list of options that now appears, tap “Location”.
2. In the location sharing screen, you will see lists of nearby places. You can choose one of these places or choose “Send your current location”. Depending on the accuracy of your GPS, you will see the accuracy of the location coordinates. In this case, my position is accurate to within 20 meters. The recipient can now tap the Google Maps link to view your current location.
How to share your location on WhatsApp (iPhone)
The steps required to send your location on WhatsApp using your iPhone are similar to the Android version, but the interface is slightly different. You can follow the steps below to send your location on WhatsApp for iOS:
1. Open the recipient’s WhatsApp chat and tap the “+” icon from the lower left corner of the screen. When the context menu appears, choose “Location”.
2. When the map interface pops up, choose “Send your current location” to share your current location. You also have the option to share nearby locations or business listings from this page.
To note: You must allow WhatsApp to access your location the first time you share it with your contacts. You can choose between “Allow once” or “Allow while using the app” options, depending on your privacy concerns.
3. The recipient can now tap the map link in the conversation to view your current location.
How to Share Live Location on WhatsApp (Android)
1. To share your WhatsApp live location from your Android phone, open the chat window, tap the attachment icon and choose the “Location” icon.
2. Now, tap “Share live location” and choose one of the durations – 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours. Add a message if you want and tap the “Send” icon to share your location live.
3. You will now see a preview of the live location, along with details of the expiration date of the live sharing session. The recipient can tap the link to view your real-time location.
How to Share Live Location on WhatsApp (iPhone)
1. To send your WhatsApp live location from your iPhone, open WhatsApp chat and tap the “+” icon in the lower left corner. Now, choose “Location” in the context menu.
2. Now you will see the map list of your region. From this screen, tap “Share live location” to share your live location.
3. The recipient can now tap the live location to know where your current location is and follow the movement as long as the session is active.
Stop Location Sharing on WhatsApp (Android and iPhone)
1. To stop location sharing on WhatsApp, press the “Stop sharing” button under the map list. When the confirmation prompt appears, tap “Stop” to stop sharing your live location.
2. You will see the text “Live location ended” below the map preview to emphasize that you are no longer sharing your live location. You can search for this text to confirm that you have stopped location sharing.
Share WhatsApp Location: FAQ
How often is WhatsApp live location updated?
WhatsApp’s live location sharing happens in real time and therefore the app continuously updates your location with the contact as long as you have a reliable internet connection.
How accurate is WhatsApp live location?
The live location you share on WhatsApp is accurate up to 10 meters.
Can I share live location on WhatsApp Web?
No, it is not possible to send your live location to someone on WhatsApp Web.
Share WhatsApp location with close friends and family
Sharing your location on WhatsApp is a handy way to make sure your friends and family can easily locate you when needed or when you’re travelling. With the live location feature, they can also know your current location in real time. In the meantime, if you want to quickly text someone on WhatsApp, for example to call for help, feel free to check out our guide on how to send WhatsApp messages without saving the phone number.