After announcing plans to revamp the Gmail interface in February this year, Google is now widely rolling out the new Gmail UI to all users. The new interface consists of dedicated tabs for Mail, Chat, Spaces, and Meet in the left sidebar, and many users might find this very irritating. If you find those extra tabs distracting, you’ll be glad to know there’s an option to turn them off. In this article, we have detailed how you can remove Chat and Meet tabs from Gmail on web, Android, and iPhone.
Enable or disable the new Gmail UI
1. Open the Gmail website and click the Settings gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
2. When the Quick Settings panel appears, click “Try the new Gmail view” to activate the new Gmail interface.
3. When the confirmation prompt appears, click on “Reload” to activate the new Gmail view.
4. You will now see the new Gmail UI with dedicated tabs for Mail, Chat, Spaces and Meet on the left sidebar. See the following sections to learn how to turn them off.
Disable Gmail Sidebar Chat and Spaces (Web)
1. Open the Gmail quick settings page by clicking the Settings gear icon in the upper right corner.
2. Until next time, click on “View all settings” to access the Gmail settings page.
3. When you are on the Gmail settings page, switch to the “Chat and Meet” tab in the top navigation bar to disable chat and spaces.
4. Choose the “Disabled” radio button next to “Chat” and click “Save Changes”. This will remove both chats and spaces from the Gmail sidebar in the new UI.
1. Click the Settings gear icon on the Gmail website to access the quick settings page.
2. Now, click on “View all settings” to expand Gmail settings.
3. Here, click on the “Chat and meet” option in top navigation bar to find the settings to disable Meet in Gmail.
4. Choose the “Hide Meet section from main menu” button and click “Save Changes”. You will no longer find the Google Meet button in the left sidebar of Gmail.
Disable chat and spaces in the Gmail app (Android and iPhone)
1. To remove Chat and Spaces from the bottom navigation bar of the Gmail mobile app, tap the hamburger menu in the top left corner of the screen and choose “Settings”.
2. Select the email account for which you want to disable the Chat function and uncheck the “Chat” box under the “General” settings.
Remove Meet from the Gmail mobile app (Android and iPhone)
1. To remove the Google Meet section in the Gmail mobile app, you must first go to settings. Tap the hamburger menu in the upper left corner and choose “Settings” basically.
2. Choose the email account for which you want to remove the Meet tab, then disable the “Show Meet tab for video calls” check box. Lo and behold, you will no longer find the Meet tab in the Gmail mobile app.
Declutter the Gmail interface and skim through emails productively
So here is. Following these steps will ensure that Chat and Mail won’t get in the way when you check your important emails on Gmail. If you want to enhance your Gmail experience, I’d recommend a Chrome extension from Inbox co-founder Simplify Gmail. For more such tips, check out our article on the best Gmail tips and tricks.