Microsoft has released the next major update for Windows 11 in the Release Preview channel for Insiders to test. The Windows 11 22H2 update (build 22621) will reach stable users around September – October 2022, but if you can’t wait, you can update to the 22H2 version now. We have mentioned three ways to install Windows 11 22H2 update on your PC right now. None of the methods will cause data loss or affect your personal files or applications unless you choose to install the Windows 11 22H2 update cleanly. On that note, let’s go ahead and learn how to upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 (aka Sun Valley 2) update.
Install Windows 11 22H2 (2022) Update
In this tutorial, we have included three different methods to install Windows 11 22H2 on your PC. You can either upgrade to build 22621 through the Release Preview channel or use the ISO image to install the update directly. Expand the table below and navigate to the section of your choice.
Update to Windows 11 22H2 through the release preview channel
The easiest way to upgrade to Windows 11 is through the Windows Insider Program. Microsoft has already installed Windows 22H2 update in the Release Preview channel ahead of General Availability (GA), which will likely be in October 2022. So if you want to install the next major Windows 11 update right now, follow the steps below.
1. First, press the Windows 11 keyboard shortcut “Windows + I” to open the Settings app. Here, click “Privacy and Securityin the left sidebar and go to “Diagnostics and feedback”.
2. Now expand the “Diagnostic data» and activate the «Send optional diagnostic data” to toggle. It is now required to join the Windows Insider Program.
3. Once you’ve done that, go to “Windows Update” in the left sidebar and expand the “Windows Insider Program” section at the bottom.
4. Now click on “Begin“.
5. Here, click on the “Link an accountnext to “Windows Insider Account”. Note that you will need a Microsoft account to join the Windows Insider Program.
6. Now, choose the Microsoft account if it is already connected to your PC. Otherwise, you can sign in with a Microsoft account. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, you can create one using the link here.
7. On the next page, choose “Release Previewand click “Continue”. The Windows 11 22H2 update (build 22621) is only available in the Release Preview channel.
To note: Sometimes the page freezes after clicking “Continue”. In this case, close the Settings app and follow the same step again. It will work this time.
8. Next, click on “Continue” and a prompt asking you to restart the device will appear. Click “Restart now“.
9. After restarting, open the Settings app and go to “Windows Update“. Now click on “Check for updates” and wait a bit. You will now have the option to install the Windows 11 22H2 (22621) update. Click “Download and Install”.
10. The whole process will take an hour or more depending on your internet speed. Once the update is complete, to restart your computer. Finally, after restarting, your PC will be upgraded to Windows 11 22H2 update. Enjoy!
Upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 using ISO image
Another way to upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 is to use the official ISO image. You do not need to enroll your PC in the Windows Insider Program. Using this method, you can simply download the ISO image and upgrade to Windows 11 22H2. Follow the instructions below.
1. First, open this page and sign in your Microsoft account. After that open the page again and scroll down. Here, click on the drop-down menu under “Select edition“.
2. From the list, choose “Windows 11 Insider Preview (Release Preview Channel) – Build 22621“.
3. Next, choose your Language in the following drop-down menu.
4. Finally, download Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621) ISO image directly from the Microsoft website.
5. After the download is complete, right-click on the ISO image and choose “To go up“.
6. A new folder will then open. Here, double-click “setup.exe“.
7. The Windows 11 installer will now open. Here, click “Next” and “Accept” The terms and conditions. It will now start downloading some necessary files.
8. Then click “Install” after reviewing the changes made to the edition and the files you want to keep or not.
9. Windows 11 version 22H2 will now be installed on your PC. The process should take 30 to 45 minutes complete.
11. Once the update is complete, the installer to restart your PC and guide you through the usual setup process. You will now be updated to Windows 11 22H2 before the official launch later this year.
How to clean install Windows 11 22H2 on your PC
1. First, you need to download Windows 11 22H2 ISO image from Microsoft website. Go to this page and sign in to your Microsoft account. After that, open the page again, scroll down and click on the drop-down menu under “Select edition“.
2. Here choose “Windows 11 Insider Preview (Release Preview Channel) – Build 22621“.
3. Next, choose your Language in the drop-down menu.
4. Finally, To download Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621) ISO image directly from the Microsoft website.
5. Next we need to download Rufus to flash the ISO image to a USB flash drive. Click here to download Rufus.
6. Now open Rufus and plug the USB drive into your PC. Here, click “Select” and choose the Windows 11 22H2 ISO image.
7. After that, click on “Beginat the bottom. Make sure you have selected the correct USB device before creating the bootable installation drive.
8. Once the flashing process is complete, close Rufus and restart your computer. When starting your PC, press the start key continuously.
To note: On HP laptops, pressing the “Esc” key during startup brings up the boot menu. For other laptops and desktops, you will need to search the internet for the startup key. It should be one of these: F12, F9, F10, etc.
9. Now, select USB drive where you flashed the Windows 11 22H2 ISO and hit enter.
10. You will then boot into the Windows 11 installer setup. Click “Next -> Install Now -> I don’t have a product key -> Select Edition -> Custom“.
11. Next, select partition where you want to install Windows 11 and click the “Next” button. Typically, this is the “C” drive.
12. And that’s it. The latest Windows 11 22H2 update will now be installed on your PC.
13. After installation, when the computer restarts, unplug the USB drive and you will boot into Windows 11 22H2 directly. Note that Microsoft has made changes to the 22H2 release, where even those using the Windows 11 Pro edition must use an online Microsoft account to complete the onboarding process (OOBE). To avoid this and create a local account during setup, follow our linked guide.
14. Well, there you go. Windows 11 22H2 version is successfully installed and running on your PC. Have fun exploring the new features!
Get to the next big Windows 11 update early
So, these are the three methods by which you can experience the next major Windows 11 update on your PC. And if you are unable to download build 22621 from the Release Preview channel for some reason, we suggest you download the ISO image and install the update directly. Anyway, that’s about it for this guide. If you want to learn more about the best hidden features of Windows 11, follow our linked guide. And to make Windows 11 lightweight and less resource intensive, check out our article on how to deflate Windows 11. And if you have any questions, let us know in the comments section below.