While gaming isn’t a Chromebook’s forte, lately things are looking up on that front as well. Google recently released the Borealis container for Steam games for select Chromebooks. Besides that, you can play many games through the Linux container, including Albion Online on Chromebook. Not to mention, you can now even install Minecraft Java Edition on ARM-powered Chromebooks. And if you’re missing new games, we’ve got you covered with this in-depth guide on how to install and run the wildly popular rhythm game – Friday Night Funkin’ – on your Chromebook. The game is also playable on school Chromebooks using the Chrome browser. On that note, let’s go ahead and see how to install Friday Night Funkin’ on a Chromebook.
Install Friday Night Funkin’ on a Chromebook (2022)
In this tutorial, we have mentioned two easy ways to play Friday Night Funkin’ on your Chromebook. The first method lets you run FNF even on school Chromebooks, while the second lets you install the game natively. Expand the table below to access the section of your choice.
Play Friday Night Funkin’ Using the Browser on a Chromebook
As the game is free and open source, you can play Friday Night Funkin’ in your Chromebook’s Chrome browser. This means that even those with school Chromebooks can play Friday Night Funkin’ without any limitations, unless your school administrator has placed additional limitations on web content. That said, let’s go ahead and learn how to install and play FNF on a Chromebook.
1. Open Chrome browser on your Chromebook and go to this itch.io link. If the itch.io link does not work, you can open alternative website as well.
To note: If gaming websites like itch.io or its alternatives are blocked by your school administrator on your Chromebook, you will need to find unblocked FNF websites. However, we suggest that you do not do this, as some of the unblocked websites may cause the installation of malicious applications or programs on your computer, thereby stealing your personal data. Look for these Friday Night Funkin’ unblocked sites at your own risk.
2. Now just click on “Run the game“, and it will start loading all the resources for FNF in your browser. Depending on the internet speed, this will take between 1 and 2 minutes.
3. Now you can play Friday Night Funkin’ on your Chromebook without any issues. On my 8th Gen Intel i5 Chromebook, the FPS was around 61FPS, which is pretty good. If you want to install the game and play it natively, skip to the next section.
Install Friday Night Funkin’ on a Chromebook via Linux
If you don’t want to play the game in a browser and want better performance, you can very well install Friday Night Funkin’ through the Linux container on your Chromebook. Here’s how.
1. First, open this link in Chrome browser and click “No thanks, direct me to downloads“. As this is a donationware game, you can support the developer by donating on the website.
2. On the next page, download the 64-bit Linux ZIP case.
3. While the ZIP file is downloading, continue and configure linux on your Chromebook if you haven’t already.
4. After that, open the Files app on your Chromebook and go to “Downloads” folder. Now move the FNF ZIP file to the “Linux files” section.
5. Next, open the Terminal app from the app drawer. Here run the below command to update linux container to the latest version. You can just copy the command below and right-click on the terminal window to quickly paste it.
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
6. Then run the command below to relax the downloaded ZIP file.
7. Then run the command below to grant all permissions Gambling.
chmod 755 Funkin
8. Once you have done that, run the command below to open Friday night Funkin’ on your Chromebook. If you have a powerful Chromebook and want to run the game at a higher FPS, run the second command.
Create Shortcut for Friday Night Funkin’ on Chromebook
Now that you have successfully installed Friday Night Funkin’ on your Chromebook, it’s time to to create a shortcut to easily open the game without using terminal commands. Follow the steps below:
9. Open Terminal and run the commands below one by one to install and open MenuLibre.
sudo apt install menulibre -y menulibre
10. In the MenuLibre program, click on the “+” icon in the top menu bar and select “Add a launcher“.
11. After that, under the “Request Details” in the right pane, click on the folder icon next to “Command”.
12. A new window will open. Here, switch to “House” in the left sidebar and choose “Funkin” in the right pane. Now click “OK” in the upper right corner.
13. Next, click on the “New Launcher” text box in the right pane and enter the name of the game for easier identification. I entered “FNF” instead of Friday Night Funkin’. Finally, click the “to safeguard” in the top menu, and you’re done.
14. Close the FreeMenu window and open the App drawer. Then open the “Linux apps“, and here you will find the FNF shortcut you just created. Click on the FNF icon and the game will open instantly on your Chromebook.
Play Friday Night Funkin’ Even on School Chromebooks
So here are the two ways to install and play Friday Night Funkin’ on your Chromebook. The game also works well even on a browser, so it’s a reliable way to play FNF on school Chromebooks. Also, if you want to play Roblox on a Chromebook, head over to our detailed tutorial. However, if you like sandbox games like Minecraft, you can also learn how to install Minecraft on your Chromebook. Finally, if you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.