With the help of some nifty tools, you can easily control your Android TV from a Windows PC. Or if you are an iOS user, you can cast your iPhone to Android TV using an AirPlay compatible app. However, if you want to control YouTube on Android TV with a full set of features, such as comments, likes, easier search, navigation, etc., you need to look for something beyond streaming. Well, Google has launched a new “Connect” feature that removes local streaming. It basically lets you control YouTube on Android TV using your iPhone or Android phone without worrying about being on the same Wi-Fi network. of the new “Connect” feature on YouTube.
Control YouTube on Android TV Using iPhone or Android Phone (2022)
Here we have mentioned the requirements to control YouTube on Android TV using your iPhone or Android phone. After that, we added the steps on how to use the Connect feature in the YouTube mobile app to control the app on your Android TV. Expand the table below and navigate to the section of your choice.
Requirements to Control YouTube on Android TV Using iPhone or Android
1. The The Google account must be the same on YouTube, both on your Android TV and your Android, iOS or iPadOS smartphone.
2. YouTube should be on the last version on your smartphone and Android TV. Google didn’t mention any specific version for the “Connect” feature to work, but to avoid any shenanigans, update the YouTube app to its latest version.
3. “Connect” function is not the traditional broadcast function you use on other apps. This is YouTube Account Sync which runs in the background. Thus, none of your devices need to be on the local Wi-Fi network to use the “Connect” function. You can be on mobile data and your TV can be on Wi-Fi and you can still control YouTube on Android TV from your smartphone.
Control YouTube on Android TV Using “Connect” Feature
1. First, make sure the YouTube TV app is updated to the latest version on both your Android TV and your smartphone (Android or iOS). Open Play Store and update all apps including YouTube.
2. Next, open the YouTube app on your Android TV and keep it that way.
3. After that, open the YouTube app on your Android phone or iPhone. And you will see a small pop-up at the bottom, which says “Watch YouTube on TV?”. Just below, a “Relate” will appear. Press it.
4. Instantly your Android phone or iPhone will be related to Android TV. If something is already playing on YouTube, it will also show the progress. Remember that you are not streaming but you are signing in to YouTube on Android TV through the YouTube account. So you don’t necessarily have to be on the same Wi-Fi network.
5. Now you can search YouTube videos from your smartphone, fast forward clip, leave a comment, add more videos to the queue, read comments, and more. Basically, you can control every aspect of YouTube on Android TV from your Android phone or iPhone.
6. The best part is that you can use voice search and even use your iPhone or Android phone as a remote control for YouTube on your Android TV. In case you want disconnect YouTube running on Android TV from your smartphone, just tap the “Cast” button on the top and choose “Disconnect”. And that’s all.
Control YouTube on Android TV from your smartphone with the TV code
If for some reason the “Connect” pop-up window does not appear on your smartphone, you can use a TV code to link your Android TV and iPhone/Android phone. Also for this feature you don’t need to be on the same Wi-Fi network. And the best part is that you don’t need to have the same google account on both devices. You can also control YouTube on Android TV from a smartphone with another Google account. It’s amazing, right? Here’s how.
1. Open the YouTube app on both devices, i.e. your Android TV and your smartphone. On your Android phone or iPhone, if you don’t see a pop-up, tap the “Cast” icon on the top right and choose “Link to TV code“.
2. Next, on your Android TV, go to the “Settings” page on YouTube, which will be located in the lower left corner. Here, open the “Link with TV code” menu and write down the 12-digit code.
3. Now go back to your smartphone and Enter code you wrote from the YouTube app above. After that, tap on “Link”.
4. There you go! YouTube on Android TV will immediately related to your smartphone. Now you can control Youtube on Android TV from your smartphone without any limitations.
5. To log out, press the “Cast” on the YouTube app and choose “Disconnect”.
6. You can also open the YouTube app on Android TV and switch to Settings -> Linked Devices. Here, click “Unpair all devices” and all devices will be deleted immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to use the Connect feature on YouTube?
Just open the YouTube app on your Android TV and your smartphone, whether it’s Android or iOS. You will get a pop-up on your smartphone saying “Watch YouTube on TV?”. Tap “Connect” and you can use the Connect function on YouTube. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Google account on your Android TV and smartphone.
How to control YouTube on Android TV without using Cast?
You can use the “Connect” feature that Google launched recently. You don’t even have to be on the local Wi-Fi network to control YouTube on a bigger screen. For more details, follow our guide.
How to control YouTube on TV from iPhone?
Make sure the same Google account is signed in to YouTube on your Android TV and iPhone. Now open the YouTube app on the TV and then on your iPhone. You will get a “Connect” prompt at the bottom. Tap it and now you can control YouTube on TV from your iPhone or, for that matter, your iPad.
Does my smartphone need to be on the same Wi-Fi network for the Connect feature to work on my Android TV running YouTube?
No, this is what differentiates the “Connect” feature from the regular broadcast. Here, your YouTube account is syncing and not some local devices. You can be on mobile devices while controlling YouTube on Android TV.
Remotely control YouTube on Android TV from your iPhone or Android phone
This is how you can use the “Connect” function to control YouTube on Android TV from your Android or iOS smartphone. I really like this feature, but every time I open YouTube, the constant pop-up can make the experience boring. I wouldn’t always want to watch YouTube on a bigger screen. Google should have given an option to disable the popup under the YouTube settings page. Anyway, it all comes from us. If you want to transfer files from Android TV to PC or your smartphone, follow our linked guide. And to find the best Android TV apps, head over to our curated list. Finally, if you have any questions, let us know in the comment section below.