A laptop is such an integral part of any professional DJ’s setup. It is a 2nd most important gadget after the controller. I have curated a list of best laptop for DJs and DJing 2018. I have kept in mind all the needs of professional DJs (also aspiring DJs) and the budget.
Some common questions that come to mind when buying a laptop for DJing. (Click on the question to check my explanation)
Best Laptop for DJs and DJing 2018
|Apple 15" MacBook Pro MPTT2LL/A (Editor's Choice)||Check Price|
|Alienware AW13R3 13.3 (Best Laptop for DJs Under 1500)||Check Price|
|Dell i5577-7359BLK-PUS (Best Laptop for DJs Under 1000)||Check Price|
|MSI GL62M 7RD-058 (Best Laptop for DJs Under 800)||Check Price|
|Acer Aspire E 15 (Best Laptop for DJs Under 500)||Check Price|
Apple’s notebook for power users still packs a gorgeous 15-inch Retina display and innovative Touch Bar controls into an impossibly slim design. And thanks to Intel’s latest Kaby Lake processors, the MacBook Pro has gotten even faster. The 15-inch Pro gets the Force Touch trackpad, and a 512GB SSD storage, plus updated graphics in the form of an AMD Radeon R9 M370X GPU.
The display in the MacBook Pro is the best ever in a Mac notebook. MacBook Pro includes a solid-state drive that’s blazing fast. Its memory is both high speed and power efficient. It all works together to help you boot up, launch multiple apps, or import huge files in a flash.
This, along with the excellent music production software available for Macs, means it’s the best laptop for DJs and Music production. Thus this is my perfect choice for Best MacBook for DJs and DJing 2018.
Powered by NVIDIA VRWorks technology, a new level of presence is achieved by bringing physically realistic visuals, sound, touch interactions, and simulated environments to virtual reality. This is the Best Laptop you can pick from DJs and DJing 2018 under 1500 dollars.
Dell i5577-7359BLK comes with 7th Gen Intel Quad-core CPU which provides responsive, powerful performance for all your CPU-intensive projects. It includes 1TB conventional HDD and PCIe NVMe 128 GB SSD for plenty of storage, stability and responsive performance.
With Dell i5577, you can immerse yourself in superior sound with Waves MaxxAudio Pro and built-in subwoofer. The studio-quality audio puts you in the middle of the action, turning every footstep, shout and musical score into something real. This laptop is thus a great choice for DJs and Djing.
Built with the revolutionary thermal design that can easily handle highest-performance processors and graphics, Dell i5577 comes with NVIDIA GTX 1050 Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 video memory. Furthermore, it is priced below $1000, making it a great pick for those looking for the Best Laptop for DJs and DJing 2018 under 1000 dollars.
The MSI GL62M 7RD laptop is a high-end laptop with great battery backup. The dedicated GPU presents crisp clear images and it also gives you great music experience. The MSI GL62M 7RD laptop has a 15.6-inch Full HD (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) LED-backlit display.
It is driven by a 2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ (7th Gen) processor coupled with an 8GB of DDR4 RAM. As far storage is concerned, there is 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD which provide faster access and can store all the RAW files.
The graphics department features a dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card which is great for some of the tools and plugins that perform better when a dedicated graphics card is available. It is a powerful laptop on a low budget, deserving its position as the Best Laptop for DJs and DJing 2018 under 800.
Featuring the 7th gen Intel Core i5 processor, this notebook lets you enjoy more power, more battery life, and more high-quality entertainment on the go. This laptop comes with 8GB DDR4 Memory and 256GB SSD. Furthermore, a convenient compartment door allows you to upgrade the SSD and Memory with ease. Up to 12-hour long battery life gives you a full day of
Up to 12-hour long battery life gives you a full day of use while on the move, maximizing your freedom to accomplish all of your daily tasks. You are sure to leap into Full HD action with NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Graphics with 2GB of discrete video memory. Fit for a very tight budget, this laptop is the Best Laptop for DJs and DJing 2018 under 500 dollars.
What to look for in a laptop for DJ?
You need to keep following things in mind while buying a laptop for DJing.
- Processor: Latest generation core i5 or core i7 laptop is an absolute must. I have listed most of the budget-friendly quad-core processor laptops. A quad-core laptop is always better than dual core in terms of processing power. It can handle many intensive tasks like music processing, production, multi-tasking.
- RAM and Harddisk: A good modern laptop comes with at least 8GB of system RAM. It is enough if DJing is your main work. I have listed most laptops with 16GB RAM so that your new laptop is future proof. (Thank me later)
- SSD: SSD is must have in 2017. It makes a laptop super fast. When you process music files in tools, they load smoothly if it’s getting loaded from SSD. The read-write speed is much faster than a traditional mechanical hard drive.
- Graphics Card and Screen: DJ tools system requirement does not mention graphics card but I have added all the laptops with decent, affordable graphics card. You will be doing basic video editing and work on multiple screens as a DJ. During these tasks, a basic graphics card will make things smoother.
- Battery and Ports: As a DJ, you will need a laptop with a long-lasting battery. Also HDMI ports and USB port are essential to connect external systems. Don’t worry, my list includes laptops with average 8 hours battery life and most laptops have latest ports (USB C and HDMI)
What is the system requirements for top DJ tools?
I have examined system requirements of all the leading free and paid DJ tools in the market. Following tools are reviewed to check hardware requirements:
- MIXX (Mac, Linux & Windows)
- Cross DJ (Mac & Windows)
- Virtual DJ (Mac & Windows)
- Djay Pro (Mac Only)
- Deckadance (Mac & Windows)
- Traktor Pro 2 (Mac & Windows)
- Serato DJ (Mac & Windows)
- PCDJ DEX 3 (Mac & Windows)
- Ableton Live (Mac & Windows)
Ideal System Requirement for all these tools:
- Intel Core i5 or Core i7 Processor (Quad-core processor recommended)
- 8GB of System RAM (16GB recommended)
- 2GB Graphics Memory
- FHD Screen and Long Battey Backup